Holy Kaelthian Republic
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Theocratic republic, much like Iran
- Regional vote elects 24-member Senate which select Chancellor (Head of Government). High priests have significant pull and back-door veto power. Chancellor must have approval of Head Lecturer and Head of Oracles as well.
- Towns and cities elect Mayor + Council under oversight of local Ecclesiarch or seated priests.
- Villages and below work communally, almost pure democracy. Acolytes have significant persuasive power but little direct power (except as informants to higher-ups).
- Wall-builder humans. Plurality (~45%).
- Wall-builder halflings. Significant minority (35%).
- Dwarves. 18%
- Others (a few high elves, mostly). 2%
See Church of the Seasons. Almost everyone belongs and at least pretends devotion. Strongly evangelistic.
- Strongly communal and devout. Sticking out is discouraged. Live by the consensus of your neighbors.
- Non-monogamous. Communities raise children together and share partners. Even the dwarves (who still have life partners) aren't nearly as rigid about it (no divorce, but no adultery stigma either).
- Everyone works. Begging and thievery are BAD THINGS that get you sent to re-education camps. Which are mostly labor/training+preaching. Repeated refusal to work honestly results in exile.
- No privacy. Everyone talks to the priests about everything and records are kept.
- Criminal behavior is punished harshly; anti-social behavior (defying consensus) is considered the worst.
- Temple or shrine is the center-point of village/town life.
- fibers, grain, beef and pork. Arcane items are a specialty. Major trade routes to Shinevog and Zhapai Karmap run through the HKR. Spidersilk is only produced in the HKR.
- Lumber products. Dyes, fur and leather, and spices. Unworked metal and specialty metal products. Non-magical technology.
- Generally poor. As a hyper-religious, conformist nation with a history of being pushy, most other nations are wary of it.
- Especially poor with the Crisial Kingdom and the Duarchy. Too much history and bad blood between them.
- Considered "suspect" by the Adventurer's Guild.
- No active war, just enhanced border checks (on both sides).